You can find geocaching tools for most phone carriers and I am familiar with the iPhone and Blackberry versions (see blog post). I am less familiar with the Nokia phone and its Ovi store for apps until a fellow geocacher (Chico Valdez) reached out and mentioned he was creating a Geocaching app.
This app will allow you to see geocaching news feeds from fellow geocachers, and full disclosure moment, this geocache blog is included. It’s a FREE app and was developed by a geocacher, which supports that this is a tool that can be used by us geocachers.
As someone new to Ovi, I thought I’d investigate and was frankly impressed by some of the statistics out there:
Source: Nokia Ovi Store Forum
The Nokia Ovi Store has a Global reach of more than 190 countries, available in 30 languages and it is also adaptable to 135+ device models (not sure Apple can claim that)
And how much is it used? The statistics as at October 4th 2010 show:
- There are 2.5 million downloads a day with more 2.6 apps downloaded per visit
- Each active user is averaging 8.5 downloads per month
- Active users from more than 190 countries
- Games continue to be #1 for paid downloads and apps continue to be #1 for free downloads
- 90% of mobile consumers now have Ovi Store in their local language
Impressive stuff, and I am excited that a geocaching app is available on another platform.
What do you think? Are you aware of other geocaching apps and platforms that you’d recommend? I thought this one that was a geocache blog roll-up was a little different to the standard apps. I am happy to spotlight it here to share…